2006/11/27

Big Cross

Big Cross
2006.06.25 21:51

In Kokura we went near the small mountain where I used to live for a long time -15 years. And today I noticed for the first time the Cross has disappeared. We used to have a Big Cross at the top of the mountain, where we called a Memorial Park. I am not sure still the Park exists there though.
This cross was built in commemoration of dead 150,000 American GIs during the World War II in Pacific theatre. Big Cross was big enough to be seen from all over the city Kokura. Why it had to be removed? Because Japan is not a Christian country? Anyway I had seen this landmark throughout my childhood. It had been a landmark in Kokura for many years after the World War II, and still the figure exists clearly in my mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home