2006/04/30

Jenseits

Jenseits
2006.03.20 0:21

This is a German word for 'beyond' - in other words, 'another world'. Around this time in a year -autumnal and vernal equinox, two times in a year we call them Jenseits, we go to cemetry with a bunch of chrysanthemum to talk to the dead. Then I thought about why we call this time Jenseits. Because the length of day and night is the same, ancient people must have thought this fact leads them to the world of the dead smoothly. From the living to the dead, from this world to another they must have thought that they need a parallel of two different worlds.
List all Journal entries
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Jenseits Preferences Top 2 comments Search Discussion
Display Options Threshold: -1: 2 comments 0: 2 comments 1: 2 comments 2: 1 comments 3: 0 comments 4: 0 comments 5: 0 comments Flat Nested No Comments Threaded Oldest First Newest First Highest Scores First Oldest First (Ignore Threads) Newest First (Ignore Threads) Save:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
Minor nitpick(Score:2)
by Ethelred Unraed (32954) * <john@grantGAUSSham.de minus math_god> on 2006.03.20 4:30 (#14952915) (http://www.grantham.de/ Last Journal: 2006.04.28 21:01)
It's actually "Jenseits" with an s, not a z. It also literally means "beyond" or "other side", and indeed in English it's acceptable to use the term "the beyond" in the same sense as "Jenseits" is used in German.
Cheers,
Ethelred
--I think those monkeys whose butts turn bright red are onto something. -- ryanr
Re:Minor nitpick(Score:1)
by mercedo (822671) * on 2006.03.21 0:43 (#14956982) (http://mercedo-compl.../2006/04/zen-ya.html Last Journal: 2006.04.28 3:11)
Thank you very much, I will mend it later.
I learned the term first of course in Jenseits von Gut und Boese by Nietzsche, later I found the small writtings by Freud called Jenseits von Lustprinzip. I guess the term Jenseits has been so used in German soil. Indeed it's philosophical rather than practical. When I looked it up the term -Jenseits, I was able to find the meaning of outside, that world, etc. But as to the meaning of beyond, I was unable to find the noun which refers to the underworld, gehenna, besides the English translation was 'Beyond Good and Evil' 'Beyond Pleasure Principle' so I thought there's no noun usage in beyond.
Now I look it up in dictionary.com. I found the noun. Twenty years ago I looked it up in a middle size dictionary, where certainly I couldn't find the noun usage. I should have done it in Oxford English Dictionary.
Later on when I found the movies called 'Beyond' I thought the term might refer to the noun meaning of the hereafter, but it was just a matter within a movie, I didn't mind it. Many years later when I came up with the idea of use Jenseits, I thought about the word 'beyond', I could have titled it as 'beyond' But just I didn't like to confirm again what the meaning the term beyond contains.
Now I clearly know what the beyond means. It was not beyond my capacity.
--Ancient Greek Philosophers -18c Enlightenment Thinkers -Slashdotters

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home